Archive by Author

Kingdom Key Keyblade

25 Dec

So my best friend is really into Kingdom of Hearts, so for Christmas I decided to build him a kingdom key. I got an aluminum pole and a plate of aluminum, and began to cut out the keyblade shape.

Then comes the hardest part. Trying to cut a single line down a pole without cutting through the entire pole. I spent 2 hours trying to figure this one out. At first I tried to hold down the pole with some wood, and simultaneously raise my reciprocating saw on the wood to just the right height, but the blade would hit the top of the pole on its way back down, often breaking the blade.

After a while of this I gave up and hammered pilot holes down the line tightly spaced, and then followed up by drilling each individual hole. I then had to smooth out the line. It broke a drill bit, but it worked.

I then fitted the blade and filled the pipe at this end with caulk, to help secure the blade and fill up any gaps. I’m then going to paint the caulk so it looks like the metal around it.

So now comes the hard part. I have to connect the shaft of the keyblade to the handle. To do this I went to Lowes and bought some 5/8 threaded bar. (The barrel is 1 inch outer diameter with 7/8 inner diameter. The bolts on the threaded rod come out to just under 7/8.

The handle is the most difficult part of this project. Unfortunately the only way I can make it is out of wood. I thought about then plating the wood in brass, but that would substantially increase the price of this product, and the work, and I doubt the results would be worth it.  (I’d have to glue the metal to the wood, and it might come off)

I then had to scale the handle to my drawing that I’m working off of.

I’ve sprayed the wood handles and dowels with shiny metallic gold paint.

After that I drilled half inch holes into the dowels that the handles would we nailed to. To make the bracers to attach the handle to the dowels, which would then have the bar running through them to the rest of the key blade, I had to bend picture hangers and then cut them.

I originally started fastening the dowels and handles together using small screws, but these stuck out to much for my liking, so I had to then take small nails, but them, hammer the head, and then bend them to make my own custom nails.

Finally I could start putting the handle together. This alone took me several hours. Once I got everything set up and put together, I put some caulk and wood glue where the handles met the dowels to fill the gap and stabilize it.

While the glue set on the handle, I then went about cutting the Mickey Mouse head out of 18gauge steel, and punched a hole though it for the chain to attach to the pommel of the keyblade.

When the glue had dried, I attached the Mickey Mouse head to the chain and then the chain to the pommel. I then took some cotton batting and wrapped the threaded steel bar to create the handle. I finished up by wrapping the cotton in electrical tape to give it a smooth black look.

With that and a little bit of extra paint, the Kingdom Key Keyblade is FINISHED!

Total material costs at finished: $50-60

Approximate hours worked from start to finish: 30-35 (not including time spent waiting for paint/glue to dry and several trips to Lowes Hardware)

Copper mask

25 Dec

A project I’m currently working on is creating a copper mask. I’ve cut it up into various pieces to make it easier to form, and so I can rivet it together with brass rivets. I think the dark copper on the light brass will contrast nicely. Here’s what I’ve done so far:

First I wanted to make a concrete positive of my face. To do this I had to create a paper mache mold of my face.

I then filled this mask with concrete:

I then went about fitting the paper and copper to the mask

When I finished cutting out the copper I started to shape the plates with a bit of wood. I eventually had to move into my shed and bring out the hammers. I’ll post more as it progresses.

Pirate monocle

25 Dec

I started out making a pair of steampunk goggles, but I accidentally scratched one lens with a brillo pad, so I decided to adapt it to a monocle. I added some brass rivets, along with a wing of brass on the side, and a leather strap with a buckle. I think it turned out quite nicely. Pirate airship captain monocle:

Dice board

25 Dec

I got bored one day and decided to make my gaming girlfriend a dice board. I threw this little thing together in 15 minutes. I just had to stain the wood and cut the felt. It now rolls the dice more quietly, and keeps them from flying away.

Decorative box

25 Dec

This was a present I made for my girlfriend. I built the box from scratch, and stained the wood. I lined the inside of it with red felt.

I really like cathedrals and so I wanted to create an archway effect. To do this I found a picture of an arch, scaled it, and then cut out each little mini arch within the arch on the picture, then did the same thing with the wood, starting with a wide arch, and getting smaller the higher I went up. This gave the box a 3D element.

To finish off the arch look I added columns at the base of every set of arches.

To cover up the seams inside the box, I added some brass around the top interior.

=

Lastly I topped the box of with a decorate pewter pin, in the shape of a heart with an arrow in it, that I acquired from Lionheart Replicas.

And ta da! Finished box